Author Topic: H1B sponsored jobs in USA for urban planners  (Read 3069 times)

ANUPAMA

• View Profile
H1B sponsored jobs in USA for urban planners
« on: November 02, 2004, 11:41:13 AM »
hey there!
i am an urban planner working in the govt sector for past 11+ years. i was interested in taking a lien from my organisation and working in the USA for a few years. I have found loads of apt jobs through the net, but most of them are with some of the county govt.s, and i dont know whether these counties can and do sponsor employees on H1B work visas. this prctice is very common in the IT sector, byut i am not sure about urban planning. also i have heard that it is very easy for employers to petition for ppl with 12+yrs of professional exp. is that true? pls help
anupama
india  

Naveen

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 01:30:59 PM »
Hey Anupama,

My name is Naveen and am a City Planner in Oregon.  Counties in US sponsor H1B visa's unless they have policies of not hiring international people.  Some important things to know...
1)  These are govt. organizations and most of them don't know the process of H1B as they don't have many or any international people working.
2)  Its common in software companies but not in planning.  Unless they really think you are the most eligible candidate they wouldn't go through that hasell.
3)  They have very low budgets and generally look for people who are from and near by places or states.
4)  Most of the counties require a personal interview and most of them don't cover your interview expenses.
5)  There are so many qualified people available here and they recieve lot of applications.  There is no shortage for planners as people from different backgrounds can become planners.

I was on F-1 Status and did my Master's in City Planning, this was the main advantage.  The biggest problem you will have is you are located in india and its very rarely seen that they will contact people from a different country for an interview though you are qualified.  But I would suggest you to apply for jobs...you never know you can be that odd ball. Good luck.

Naveen

SShaikh

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 08:44:29 PM »
Well are there any agent to(+geneuan ones ) to search jobs for us. i am in UK working as a Training Administrator, and studing to become a developer.  

The Indian Architecture & Construction Network Blog is an unmoderated blog for the Indian architects, indian Architecture and indian construction industry. The issues discussed here / news relate to professional practice, construction, design, environment, urban design, interiors, green buildings, sustainability, Energy Efficient Architecture, architectural competitions, academic standards, projects, professional institutions, architecture students, CAD, vaastu, Job postings etc. etc. The comments posted on this blog are the views of the poster. The Blog owners may or may not subscribe to the same and cannot be held responsible for the same. The blog owners take no responsibilty for any loss incured by anyone whatsoever it maybe, by clicking on the links on this website.

Indian Architecture & Construction Blog

The blog is hosted by Manchanda Associates . www.manchanda.co.in

ENVARCH - an Environmental design initiative by Manchanda Associates
Industrial Design : Retractable Vehicle shade for tropical & Cold climates