Author Topic: Regulating construction spec  (Read 4461 times)

Flying Buttress

• View Profile
Regulating construction spec
« on: November 05, 2004, 03:05:41 PM »
I think there should be mandatory checks on the external envelope as specified by the architects and there MUST be a maximum u-value.

This can be derived by region to ensure maximum efficiency.

All buildings ever constructed should perform to certain minimum level.

Opinions? Questions?

shweta

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 09:53:33 PM »
you're right. in many countries such regulations are already in place to control energy use besides other guidelines to rate a buildings total energy consumtion. I think work on such recommendations for India is being considered. such changes to building materials however often involve costs and would be economical in a country like ours only where significant savings in energy use are achieved. I guess this is a possible reason for the lack of mandatory checks of such sorts in buildings.

akshay shrinagesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 06:05:49 PM »
i think thats a very good suggestion.. however i must also add that the use of glass is prevalent here in the metros for other social reasons too... they are a tool to symbolise wealth and economic strength.
one can only look at the LIC building by charles correa where extensive use of glass symbolised india coming of age and her being able to afford excessess..and correa is hailed around the world as one of the best indian architects on the contemporary scene.
however one must use glass intelligently..
many a times architects and planners criticise the so called "modern buildings " for the use of glass, as being non traditional, however in my opinion one must not use criticism as a tool to undermine ones own shortcomings to being adaptive to change..
architects  incapable of dealing with issues in a broder sense reveal a micro attitude and one must think and address macro issues too.. as architecture looks at reconciling a whole gamut of issues

akshay shrinagesh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 06:08:27 PM »
architecture unites the past with the future... and one must seek ways in which one can progress socially, economically and tecnologically..

i think thats when architecture comes of age..

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 11:54:57 AM »
I think there should be mandatory checks on the external envelope as specified by the architects and there MUST be a maximum u-value.

This can be derived by region to ensure maximum efficiency.

All buildings ever constructed should perform to certain minimum level.

Opinions? Questions?
 :blink:
Do you know that, their is a govt. agency B.E.E. for monitoring and controlling the energy efficiency for major power consuming industries.  

shweta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 10:47:56 PM »
I think these organizations such as B.E.E only monitor, if they do, energy consumption for industrial processes rather than for running the building itself. Although it would be interesting to know if they do otherwise...

The Indian Architecture & Construction Network Blog is an unmoderated blog for the Indian architects, indian Architecture and indian construction industry. The issues discussed here / news relate to professional practice, construction, design, environment, urban design, interiors, green buildings, sustainability, Energy Efficient Architecture, architectural competitions, academic standards, projects, professional institutions, architecture students, CAD, vaastu, Job postings etc. etc. The comments posted on this blog are the views of the poster. The Blog owners may or may not subscribe to the same and cannot be held responsible for the same. The blog owners take no responsibilty for any loss incured by anyone whatsoever it maybe, by clicking on the links on this website.

Indian Architecture & Construction Blog

The blog is hosted by Manchanda Associates . www.manchanda.co.in

ENVARCH - an Environmental design initiative by Manchanda Associates
Industrial Design : Retractable Vehicle shade for tropical & Cold climates