Author Topic: Which CAD software ?  (Read 8963 times)

shamit

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Which CAD software ?
« on: November 10, 2004, 11:12:08 AM »
In the Indian context cost of a CAD software becomes a prime factor in deciding the software to purchace. The most basic Acad LT (ment only for 2d drafting), in the US cost around 600-700$ - about 1/10th the monthly salary of a fresh architect. In India its approx Rs. 60,000 - 10 times the monthly salary of a fresh architect. In come other softwares like Cadian, bricscad, tricad, powerdraft etc. which are available in the range of Rs. 15-20,000/-. But are these softwares really as efficient as autocad - which has a virtual monoply.

I would like to hear from users about their experience with these cheaper software, in terms of

1. ease of migration from autocad.

2. handling of large files previously done in autocad

3. exchanging information with consultants using autocad

4. finding trained manpower to work on these software

garos

Which CAD software ?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 01:52:44 PM »
AutoCad is the most popular of CAD packages used by most offices around the globe and it is easy to find trained staff to manage AutoCad workstations.

As head of design  for many years, I've the opportunity to try out various CAD softwares - specially ArchiCad, Microstation and Bricscad.  

The most cost efficient package is Bricscad which is very compatible with AutoCad, but is bascially ment for 2D drafting, like Acad LT.   This in fact is good enough for 80% of the work stations in a normal design office, as all would not be working on 3D objects.  But then again one would need to send staff for a little bit of training. Still exchaning files over the net means having to convert drawings back to AutoCad so that the user at the other end who is not using your package can work on the same file.

The best option is to try out a trail version of various packages, which is normally supplied by the vendor and determine for yourself how well the software suites your goal.  In my experience, due to lack of trained personnel, the costs to train people and the difficulty of sharing files with external offices let us to conclude that for the moment AutoCad satisfies our requirements.  But with the development of the IT industry we never know.........

german_indian

Which CAD software ?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 08:07:15 PM »
autocad is really one of the easiest programmes to learn an understand the basics of cad drawings...3d is possible but quite difficult since you have to start drawing from sratch!

a good 3d programm is rhino. it is easy to use and can be handled with the shortkeys of autocad. therefore, it is easy to learn and use. the trial version can be found on their website. i don't know how much it costs though.

a nice complementary to autocad is architectural desktop. the latest version 2004 offers simliar options as archicad...don'T know the price range either.

pankaj_yp@yahoo.co.uk

Which CAD software ?
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 05:53:10 PM »
We have seen a major improvement in CADian software .Today we are using only CADian in our office & are surprising happy. We arehappy that we took decision to buy CADian against AutoCAD. Try evaluatin the latest CADian 2004B. Its really impressive.

shamit

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Which CAD software ?
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 08:06:31 PM »
What I have heard from most people who have used Cadian is thats its a good software till the time the file size is small and has minimal amount of hatching. Most people I talked to have had problems of computers hanging while doing regens or zooms. They say the moment the file size crosses 1-1.5 mb these problems crop up. The cost factor is a major player in buying any software especialy in India. The last couple of people I talked to on this issue who have purchased both Cadian and AutoCAD LT in the past, still favour AutoCAD even with a higher price tag.

allplan ft is the best for me

Which CAD software ?
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 04:23:26 AM »
for me Allplan Nemetschek is a very good software to DAO, we can import and export data to autocad, microstation, 3d studio Max, Cinema 4D ...
it's best than autocad for 3d, Allplan FT is easy to learn and to use.

sorry for my bad english.
denagarane@yahoo.fr

Guest_pankaj

Which CAD software ?
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 03:47:06 PM »
What I have heard from most people who have used Cadian is thats its a good software till the time the file size is small and has minimal amount of hatching. Most people I talked to have had problems of computers hanging while doing regens or zooms. They say the moment the file size crosses 1-1.5 mb these problems crop up. The cost factor is a major player in buying any software especialy in India. The last couple of people I talked to on this issue who have purchased both Cadian and AutoCAD LT in the past, still favour AutoCAD even with a higher price tag.
Well, with the current version of CADian 2004C, we dont see any problems with file sizes till 5mb too. Ihave even heard of their realese for CADian 2006 in april 2005,which will be much more enhanced. Best part is the upgrades are free.

On the other hand we have also implemented ArchiCAD. Its the best software availble in india at unbelievable price. It has helped us to close deals like never before.

J. pal

Which CAD software ?
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 11:33:42 AM »
In the Indian context cost of a CAD software becomes a prime factor in deciding the software to purchace. The most basic Acad LT (ment only for 2d drafting), in the US cost around 600-700$ - about 1/10th the monthly salary of a fresh architect. In India its approx Rs. 60,000 - 10 times the monthly salary of a fresh architect. In come other softwares like Cadian, bricscad, tricad, powerdraft etc. which are available in the range of Rs. 15-20,000/-. But are these softwares really as efficient as autocad - which has a virtual monoply.

I would like to hear from users about their experience with these cheaper software, in terms of

CADopia IntelliCAD is a professional CAD package - at a price so affordable, you can put it on the desktop of every CAD user in your organization
CADopia IntelliCAD 5 supports read/write of Autodesk AutoCAD 2005 format DWG files as well. It is more powerfil than AutoCAd LT. CADopia IntelliCAD 5 is a major advance in providing CAD users with affordable and compatible CAD software,” said John Ratsey, a civil engineer working with UN Food and Agricultural Organization. And it cost Rs 10,000/- for Standard Edition.
For details please logon at www.cadopia.com

jiten

• View Profile
Which CAD software ?
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 11:37:35 AM »
CADopia IntelliCAD is a professional CAD package - at a price so affordable, you can put it on the desktop of every CAD user in your organization
CADopia IntelliCAD 5 supports read/write of Autodesk AutoCAD 2005 format DWG files as well. It is more powerfil than AutoCAd LT. CADopia IntelliCAD 5 is a major advance in providing CAD users with affordable and compatible CAD software,” said John Ratsey, a civil engineer working with UN Food and Agricultural Organization. And it cost Rs 10,000/- for Standard Edition.

jiten

• View Profile
Which CAD software ?
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 11:38:25 AM »

jiten

• View Profile
Which CAD software ?
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 11:39:03 AM »
Well, with the current version of CADian 2004C, we dont see any problems with file sizes till 5mb too. Ihave even heard of their realese for CADian 2006 in april 2005,which will be much more enhanced. Best part is the upgrades are free.

On the other hand we have also implemented ArchiCAD. Its the best software availble in india at unbelievable price. It has helped us to close deals like never before.

shamit

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Which CAD software ?
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 11:50:39 AM »
All said and done however much we may praise one software or another or hate a company like Autodesk for its "buy it or I raid you" attitude the end user still prefers autocad. The Northern Chapter of IIA had made available two offers to its members. One was Intelicad based Cadian at Rs. 9,999/- and the other AutoCAD LT at Rs.29,990/- (three times the cost of Cadian). The tally at the end of the offer - Autocad LT 200+ copies sold, while Cadian just made it to about a dozen.

Which CAD software ?
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 05:02:17 AM »
Can someone name an indian arcitectual software with indian designs and stuff not the American looking houses, the Indian looking houses?

tj

Which CAD software ?
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2005, 04:15:36 PM »
as for software i'm woefully short on ideas. autocad 200 to max is i guess the best deal. i just passed out of college, so the odea of buying software hasn't really occoured yet.

what i find hard to believe is that three are no linux eqivalents. i have repeatedly tried to source similar software for fedora without any success. surely someone's come up with an open version.

getting real, we'll have to kick bill gates and go the free way. i can't even imagine buying all the software i need. i might as well invest in a house and retire . . . !

meanwhile piracy rulz.
peace

shamit

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Which CAD software ?
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2005, 05:38:14 PM »
Not buying software and Piracy Rulz is fine till you are not running your own setup But once you have your own setup and one fine day get a LEGAL NOTICE from the software manufacture you start thinking can I afford not to buy. The legal provision is non-bailable arrest under the Patent rules. Recently an archi firm got raided. they had some 10 odd comps running illegal copies and the damages claimed were Rs. 25 Lakhs.

The Indian Architecture & Construction Network Blog is an unmoderated blog for the Indian architects, indian Architecture and indian construction industry. The issues discussed here / news relate to professional practice, construction, design, environment, urban design, interiors, green buildings, sustainability, Energy Efficient Architecture, architectural competitions, academic standards, projects, professional institutions, architecture students, CAD, vaastu, Job postings etc. etc. The comments posted on this blog are the views of the poster. The Blog owners may or may not subscribe to the same and cannot be held responsible for the same. The blog owners take no responsibilty for any loss incured by anyone whatsoever it maybe, by clicking on the links on this website.

Indian Architecture & Construction Blog

The blog is hosted by Manchanda Associates . www.manchanda.co.in

ENVARCH - an Environmental design initiative by Manchanda Associates
Industrial Design : Retractable Vehicle shade for tropical & Cold climates