Author Topic: architect looking move back to his roots  (Read 3063 times)

svsarma

• View Profile
architect looking move back to his roots
« on: June 13, 2007, 04:37:40 AM »
Hi all,
I am an Indian whos been out of India since 1990. My only architecture experience in India has been my Undergrad Architecture degree.  For all purposes I am an american Architect as I went to school in the US for Post Grad and have been working here for 11 years, having worked in arizona, texas etc.
However I miss the things in Architecture in the US that in the first place caused me to fall in love with it in India. The US is very business oreinted and regimental, the architecture very code-driven.
Also I feel that architecture is genetic. What I mean is I am an Indian Architect and thus misplaced in the USA.
However my immediate family paint a negative picture of the profession in India wrt contractors, bribery, corruption and a general ambiguity about the profession in India.
As you can understand with a family and 2 kids its not a easy logistic to move to India on a whim.
My questions are:
how difficult is it to set up a practise and get projects?
what are the expereince with client in regards to paying fees?
Are architects expected to manage construction (or just weekly site visits)
any advise over and above to help me make up my mind will help!
sorry if it sounds vague
vsarma

shyam

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 12:15:30 PM »
Hi,
   I did my master's from Washu, St. Louis. When I came to US my notion was money and advanced architecture. But as U said I also felt misplaced so I came back to India.Though life is not as easy as I am having my own practice. But Its great to work for yourself. I think it will be difficult for u and ur kids to come back and settle in India. But if u think that u have enough savings to support u for couple of months u can think to come back. And now here in India there are several big MNc's in architecture which offer good salary so U can consider working with them for a wile to understand the system here. And rest all is in the hands of almighty. If u think u want to talk in detail about the issue u can mail me at shyamthakkar@gmail.com or call me at 091-9351324877.

svsarma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 10:16:52 PM »
thanks shyam, I have emailed you directly

The Indian Architecture & Construction Network Blog is an unmoderated blog for the Indian architects, indian Architecture and indian construction industry. The issues discussed here / news relate to professional practice, construction, design, environment, urban design, interiors, green buildings, sustainability, Energy Efficient Architecture, architectural competitions, academic standards, projects, professional institutions, architecture students, CAD, vaastu, Job postings etc. etc. The comments posted on this blog are the views of the poster. The Blog owners may or may not subscribe to the same and cannot be held responsible for the same. The blog owners take no responsibilty for any loss incured by anyone whatsoever it maybe, by clicking on the links on this website.

Indian Architecture & Construction Blog

The blog is hosted by Manchanda Associates . www.manchanda.co.in

ENVARCH - an Environmental design initiative by Manchanda Associates
Industrial Design : Retractable Vehicle shade for tropical & Cold climates