Author Topic: How to work for Vip clients?  (Read 3579 times)

RAGHURAM

• View Profile
How to work for Vip clients?
« on: August 29, 2008, 07:46:13 PM »
I am Architect Practising Architecture for 4 years. Now i have new project. But the client is a VIP.
He asked me to do Start all the design works. But he was not asked about the fees.

How can a start? or Can explain my  fees deatils now? or can I start the work?
or Can I ask some advance? 

But If i ask a advance or If I give any fees details , I loose the project.

please anybody give sugesstions to take the project ?

kkk

• View Profile
Re: How to work for Vip clients?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 06:03:38 PM »
Dear Mr. Raghuram,

You are in professional field so do not see that the client is Vip or a simple man, you have a rights to ask your fee,

You pls ask him advance 10% of your fee and fee should be based on your exprience and your eligibility minimum should be 5% of cost of work

Thanks

shamit

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 10:29:21 AM »
One basic thing a senior person the profession taught me

The client - who ever it may be, never even bothers to apply his brain to even give a breif if he has not paid some money in advance. What does he have to loose if you do not give him a design that "excites" him. He will just tell you to go take a walk. Once some one pays you an advance he makes sure that you have the propoer brief - his money is at stake.

You are in the business of ideas - your idea is gone - every thing is gone.

There has to be some comitment from the client. if a an organisation - may be a letter apointing you. If an individual - hard money.

Easier said than done.........  The fear of loosing a project always haunts you. but in the longer run the client if he is serious will always payup.

VIP Clients are the worst type - too many people out there to please them for free. so get what you can before hand and fixup the fee - just give him a letter stating your responsibilities along with stages of payment.. If he is serious he will not mind it. If he is not - you would be saved puting in your work and not getting anything for it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 10:33:34 AM by shamit »

kerry19

• View Profile
    • Diamond Ring
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 11:44:38 AM »
Don't see him as a VIP just see him as one of your client and tell him about your fees details and also ask for some advance and at the same time highlight the quality of service that only you can provide to him

ak74

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 07:38:31 AM »
Always ask for a token to start the project which can susbsequently be adjusted in your overall fees. Even thouh it is a catch 22 situation and one is always debating in mind with regards to the future benifits of this VIP client, but I believe asking for a value for your service is very professional. If the client is serious about getting the work done, he will not mind the token, though he might not agree to the amount you asked for. keeping all this in mind be prepared to shell out the same token as a client when you are dealing with other professionals!

Try and ask for the token and you will see how ficticious ( clients who are in a habbit of getting work done for free ) will disappear in a blip! your time will be well spent looking out for a real client than just extending your favor! Given said all the above I am not suggesting that you may not accomodate a VIP client in the ways you think are ethically correct towards yourself, profession, and society in general!

After your first meeting with the client you could always follow up with a letter highlighting the scope of work discussed in the meeting and suggest that you could get working on it as soon as you receive an acceptance towards the retainership. YOu could also suggest in the letter that you usually charge x% but you are offering the VIP client a discount.....see how it goes!

Good Luck!

The Indian Architecture & Construction Network Blog is an unmoderated blog for the Indian architects, indian Architecture and indian construction industry. The issues discussed here / news relate to professional practice, construction, design, environment, urban design, interiors, green buildings, sustainability, Energy Efficient Architecture, architectural competitions, academic standards, projects, professional institutions, architecture students, CAD, vaastu, Job postings etc. etc. The comments posted on this blog are the views of the poster. The Blog owners may or may not subscribe to the same and cannot be held responsible for the same. The blog owners take no responsibilty for any loss incured by anyone whatsoever it maybe, by clicking on the links on this website.

Indian Architecture & Construction Blog

The blog is hosted by Manchanda Associates . www.manchanda.co.in

ENVARCH - an Environmental design initiative by Manchanda Associates
Industrial Design : Retractable Vehicle shade for tropical & Cold climates