Author Topic: Thesis - Highrise Condominium  (Read 5569 times)

conceptrobin

• View Profile
Thesis - Highrise Condominium
« on: November 23, 2008, 10:23:55 AM »
Hi everyone...
i am a final year student and highrise condominium is my thesis topic... and i would like your help in the user analysis.. that is to know what kind of specification does a user need in a condominium housing...
My idea of design is follow the same pattern that is used in a street, where each user has a home of his own requirement.. and to take this concept into a vertical level.....
Thus for this i need your help in knowing what is it that a business man, an IT professional, a bank employee, a housewife, a designer and people of various occupation require!!!
thanks for your help!!
My mail id conceptrobin@yahoo.com

kerry19

• View Profile
    • Diamond Ring
Re: Thesis - Highrise Condominium
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 12:24:30 PM »
A condominium, or condo, is a form of housing tenure and other real property where a specified part of a piece of real estate (usually of an apartment house) is individually owned while use of and access to common facilities in the piece such as hallways, heating system, elevators, exterior areas is executed under legal rights associated with the individual ownership and controlled by the association of owners that jointly represent ownership of the whole piece. Colloquially, the term is often used to refer to the unit itself in place of the word "apartment". A condominium may be simply defined as an "apartment" that the tenant "owns" as opposed to rents.

Condominium is the legal term used in the United States and in most provinces of Canada. In Australia and the Canadian province of British Columbia it is referred to as strata title. Technically, a condominium is a collection of individual home units along with the land upon which they sit. Individual home ownership within a condominium is construed as ownership of only the air space confining the boundaries of the home. The boundaries of that space are specified by a legal document known as a Declaration, filed of record with the local governing authority. Typically these boundaries will include the drywall surrounding a room, allowing the homeowner to make some interior modifications without impacting the common area.

The primary attraction to this type of ownership is the ability to obtain affordable housing in a highly desirable area that typically is beyond economic reach.Major North American cities, including Miami, San Francisco, Chicago, New York City, Los Angeles, Calgary, Vancouver, and Toronto, have much condo development.

shweta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 01:16:33 AM »
You could also benefit from studying Moshe Safdie's design for Habitat Montreal.

ak74

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 09:05:45 AM »
very ambitious I must say. You are looking to reslove the one of the biggest issues of mass urban housing via your thesis by providing condos that cater to needs of a vey very diversified clientle. As they say often the best solution to the most complex problems is the simplest solution....a lot of leading architects have thought about how to resolve this issue and almost all agree taht you need to provide a lot of flexibility in your design so the owners can mold it as per their needs. one of teh key aspects of this discussion is also invidualistic expression which every user will have and will differ from the others. How do you provide for a unified design with such diverse expressions? how do you provide for a flexible design on a standard floor plate without comprimising the structural integrity? how do you offset the extra cost of this inbuilt flexibility, so an individual can build a 2 bed room or 3 bedroom condo as per hsi need? does this mean you build only a structural framework and let the owner decide what they want to build? or do you build a shell and let the owner decide and build the interiors - semi flexible? how do you provide for a design solutions wit in these parameters? Thats the challenge !
As I mention above some architects have made an attempt to address these questions to some level of success in thier design. you could look up TARA Appartment housing by Charles Correa, Aranya low cost housing by BV Doshi etc.
Its a very very interesting subject!. If anyone in the forum have further leads, please share it with the rest.

The Indian Architecture & Construction Network Blog is an unmoderated blog for the Indian architects, indian Architecture and indian construction industry. The issues discussed here / news relate to professional practice, construction, design, environment, urban design, interiors, green buildings, sustainability, Energy Efficient Architecture, architectural competitions, academic standards, projects, professional institutions, architecture students, CAD, vaastu, Job postings etc. etc. The comments posted on this blog are the views of the poster. The Blog owners may or may not subscribe to the same and cannot be held responsible for the same. The blog owners take no responsibilty for any loss incured by anyone whatsoever it maybe, by clicking on the links on this website.

Indian Architecture & Construction Blog

The blog is hosted by Manchanda Associates . www.manchanda.co.in

ENVARCH - an Environmental design initiative by Manchanda Associates
Industrial Design : Retractable Vehicle shade for tropical & Cold climates