Author Topic: BIM Solutions  (Read 3119 times)

shamit

• Administrator
    • View Profile
BIM Solutions
« on: April 01, 2005, 10:40:06 AM »
Building Information Modellingor BIM as it is popularly know is the latest Buzz word in the CAD industry. There is Revit, ArchiCAD etc. who have their presence in the Indian context.

All vendors of BIM claim huge advantages of using BIM. I would like to know from those who have used these software if:-

1. Is it trully benifitial ?

2. Does it reduce the no. of people required to do a job as claim by vendors ?

3. What happens when your sub-consultants do not use BIM and are still on traditional 2D CAD systems. And you have to integrate their data into your system ?

4. How easy is it to incorporate changes that happen while work has started on site and you have converted your drawings into plain 2D ?

5. How easy or difficult is it to work in the Indian Context when there is practically no form of standardization ?

6. Is it a quantum jump from working in 2D, like it was from Paper to CAD ?

sabufrancis

• View Profile
BIM Solutions
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 05:26:56 PM »
1. Is it trully benificial ?
Yes it can be; if we cover the entire spectrum of the process of design: Right from concept formation till the final stages, including construction and even beyond: facilities managemement, maintenance, etc.

2. Does it reduce the no. of people required to do a job as claim by vendors ?
Yes. Intelligent BIM based software does reduce people. The key issue here is the "claim" which these vendors make. I believe the current theoretical basis for many such software are ill developed so I cannot always blame that the BIM vendors are only making claims. Sometimes, they are simply misguided and some of their intentions turn out empty quite innocently

3. What happens when your sub-consultants do not use BIM and are still on traditional 2D CAD systems. And you have to integrate their data into your system ?
This is definitely an issue when the BIM software is not connected with the rest of the parts of the design and construction process. However, I believe there is a definite possiblity where such a software can lead TO firm connections with conventional 2D/3D CAD software. However connections FROM 2D/3D software into a BIM software is quite unlikely. For e.g. In Revit, you would need to re-input information from Autocad.

4. How easy is it to incorporate changes that happen while work has started on site and you have converted your drawings into plain 2D ?
Changes can be incorporated easily. Though I think we are taking the presence of 2D drawings as a given.  It need not be that way. Ideally, 2D drawings should be avoided completely. And it can be avoided:

It is now possible to put a small computer on the site and give inputs from the BIM software directly onto it via the Internet, etc. into a 3D software such as Model Press Reader, etc. which can not only view it in 3D but you can cut the model at any plane and get the dimensions. And moreover it is free. Adobe's Acrobat Reader (Version 7) now has some excellent 3D display capabilities -- though I am not too sure that is the way to go. The examples are to indicate that many companies are gravitating towards such a solution, there are many other solutions too

5. How easy or difficult is it to work in the Indian Context when there is practically no form of standardization ?
I am of the firm opinion there is nothing "special" about the "Indian Context"  which casts aspersions on the possiblities of doing all these. Much of these software are written by Indians, albeit working for foreign companies. But we all know that anyway. Using software appropriately is often a mindset issue and nothing really much more. If we believe that there exists some firm standarization outside India then I would really like to see that. Let us not even remotely suspect our credentials to form standards in India. Its not happened so far because there is a maelstrom in the knowledge base out there. And that is all over the world, not just in India. AEC-XML is way below what all issues one need to tackle in architecture and to me looks as if it is completely invaded by vested commercial interests

6. Is it a quantum jump from working in 2D, like it was from Paper to CAD ?
Paper to CAD was a quantum jump? hmmmm... I would not think so. I think CAD  (Any CAD ... I am not referring to CAD by any known brand) by itself was a very ill thought of piece of work in the context of a designer. Why so? It would require much more detailed explanation, which may not be appropriate on this forum. CAD should have always been using an information model

Some more info is being built up here: http://www.teamtad.com

BIM Solutions
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 01:51:06 AM »
Hi:
I am pleased to announce the new version of my BIM (BIM=Building
Information Modeler) software: TAD Designer Lite 5.5 (TAD for short)

This is not a commercial solicitation. TAD is free.

As some of you know, I 've been working on this in the middle
of my architectural practice for quite some years...(TAD was
instrumental in almost all of my architectural projects)and it has
now grown to quite some extent. But I wish it would grow faster.

Hence I would appreciate all of you using it and also
your feedback/contribution

TAD now requires a mandatory registration at www.teamtad.com but there
are no restrictions in using the software whatsoever for actual
architecture projects.

However any data file that is meant for use of non-architectural purpose
(e.g. selling data to fellow architects) then it must be routed through
another portal (www.architectsdata.com  -- yet to be setup) Hopefully,
this project should make money for everyone who particpate in the portal.

In this version, there is not much in way of documentation, I am afraid
but its all coming -- One student of mine who is now pursuing further
studies in the US has promised to help out. Hopefully, some of you
would also contribute

However an old PDF document that explains the concepts of TAD is
included in the installer and there are enough hints and hot-keys in the
program to understand how the program works.  I've also included some
sample TAD files and some Ardela code files. (Ardela= Architectural Design
Language, a variant of Prolog that I've developed for architects use)

And there is a tip file which can get updated from the web. And
finally, registered users can participate in the forum/wiki at
www.teamtad.com and ask me questions

Currently the setup program for TAD Designer Lite is at
http://www.sabufrancis.com/tad55setup.exe It will be moved to
http://www.teamtad.com later on

I am taking a break as I am involved with some other work. I would be
back on TAD some time in Jan. In the meantime, I would be highly obliged
if you could give me some feedback on the software

Regards

Sabu Francis

The Indian Architecture & Construction Network Blog is an unmoderated blog for the Indian architects, indian Architecture and indian construction industry. The issues discussed here / news relate to professional practice, construction, design, environment, urban design, interiors, green buildings, sustainability, Energy Efficient Architecture, architectural competitions, academic standards, projects, professional institutions, architecture students, CAD, vaastu, Job postings etc. etc. The comments posted on this blog are the views of the poster. The Blog owners may or may not subscribe to the same and cannot be held responsible for the same. The blog owners take no responsibilty for any loss incured by anyone whatsoever it maybe, by clicking on the links on this website.

Indian Architecture & Construction Blog

The blog is hosted by Manchanda Associates . www.manchanda.co.in

ENVARCH - an Environmental design initiative by Manchanda Associates
Industrial Design : Retractable Vehicle shade for tropical & Cold climates