Author Topic: Designing.  (Read 3550 times)

meha

• View Profile
Designing.
« on: June 20, 2005, 01:01:14 AM »
After joining an architecture college,when i first realised what i had got into, the biggest question  in my mind was- what does one mean by a good design and how do i go about making one?in any form of design,not just architecture, the chief governing factor is but ofcourse the function,butwhat im talking about here,is the aesthetics of the form-it differs from one culture to another, from one individual to another.At the same time we all have our generalised likes and dislikes.So is designing about creating the appealing or challanging it to create a new ideal for beauty?
also to what extend should personal ideals affect the process of designing?

p.s- im looking 4 an architect to train under4 my college internship-someone strong in fundamentals and witha willingness to teach.not too commercial.If u can help me , i would be soo grateful!  :)  

DesignTheatre

• View Profile
Designing.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 09:53:45 AM »
One thing.. 'good design' is very difficult to quantify. Probably a good design can be one in which the designer has thought about all the constriants and the context of design, rather than just 2-3 main factors. To what extent the designer does this, is what actually matters. One architect might want to make a space harmonious, or he might want to not make a space so, intentionally. The point is that he should never ignore what is at his hands. accept it or reject it or modify it, or do something, or atleast do nothing, but you should know why you do what you do.
For eg., if a client wants to remodel his house and the architect after lots of discussions and brainstorming, finds out after much thought and after considering all aspects of that house, that the house as existing is the best for the client, and the client is convinced somehow,, then would you call it a good design?
If it is you who are designing it, then you cannot escape designing it from your point of view. If you think you can do a design that will not have your impact on it, i disagree with you. Even if you do, you have done something that exists in its own right, but only from your point of view.
p.s:- I am looking for people to work with me. Email me and we can talk more.

paragdas

• View Profile
Designing.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 05:58:40 PM »
One thing.. 'good design' is very difficult to quantify. Probably a good design can be one in which the designer has thought about all the constriants and the context of design, rather than just 2-3 main factors. To what extent the designer does this, is what actually matters. One architect might want to make a space harmonious, or he might want to not make a space so, intentionally. The point is that he should never ignore what is at his hands. accept it or reject it or modify it, or do something, or atleast do nothing, but you should know why you do what you do.
For eg., if a client wants to remodel his house and the architect after lots of discussions and brainstorming, finds out after much thought and after considering all aspects of that house, that the house as existing is the best for the client, and the client is convinced somehow,, then would you call it a good design?
If it is you who are designing it, then you cannot escape designing it from your point of view. If you think you can do a design that will not have your impact on it, i disagree with you. Even if you do, you have done something that exists in its own right, but only from your point of view.
p.s:- I am looking for people to work with me. Email me and we can talk more.
Hi

I am from Bangladesh.We would like to build a temple in our area.Could you please help me to get a good website about templle designing or if any one can give us with architect design we will pay according to our ability.Thanks & regards

Parag

The Indian Architecture & Construction Network Blog is an unmoderated blog for the Indian architects, indian Architecture and indian construction industry. The issues discussed here / news relate to professional practice, construction, design, environment, urban design, interiors, green buildings, sustainability, Energy Efficient Architecture, architectural competitions, academic standards, projects, professional institutions, architecture students, CAD, vaastu, Job postings etc. etc. The comments posted on this blog are the views of the poster. The Blog owners may or may not subscribe to the same and cannot be held responsible for the same. The blog owners take no responsibilty for any loss incured by anyone whatsoever it maybe, by clicking on the links on this website.

Indian Architecture & Construction Blog

The blog is hosted by Manchanda Associates . www.manchanda.co.in

ENVARCH - an Environmental design initiative by Manchanda Associates
Industrial Design : Retractable Vehicle shade for tropical & Cold climates