Author Topic: how do i know if i am gonna be successful?  (Read 2921 times)

zai

• View Profile
how do i know if i am gonna be successful?
« on: August 30, 2005, 02:54:23 AM »
hello everybody
i am a third year student
i was thinking of studying architecture since i was 10 years old!!!!
but now ...i am only an average student...does that mean i am not gonna be successful in my career too...or that my opportunity of being successful is less than other better students???
how can an architecture student know that he is a good one
and that he is on the right track...what would my lifestyle be like for example..
if u can give any help or comment i will be thankful

sirisha

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 11:25:56 PM »
Hey,
Everyone goes thru it. So this shudnt be a factor to get you down. You are learning now, so as long as u do justice to it. Things would be fine.  Most of the pple in this world are not even as clever as u.
     And as for the average part, if you feel u gave it your best and tats average...then well average is better than poor. But if u know u have better potential then.....motivate yourself.  
    Blues are a part of the life...but let the Q tat "wud i be successful?" be answered tmrw and not today when u have to work towards being successful!

zai

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 02:44:52 AM »
welll
u r righttt...wht u said applies on all aspects of life actullyy
but there is a thing tooo
i am an average student coz i dont doo my best ...i admit
but its coz i dont feel for architectur now as i used to feel before...i am loosing something i dont know whyyy...i dont know what either
is this only a phase? means most go thru it? or is it just mee??ok i think i need something to remind me why i loved it at the first place..i forgot...why did u love it?

sameer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 12:23:46 PM »
hey zai..you are on the right track.frustration is the right thing when you get a way out for a great achievement..believe me. and as such i don't find your worry any different than other archi student. since you said you are in 3rd yr, probably you are being exposed to the practicality of the pofession..coming away from the fascinaion of design fundas..so do get frustrated..sounds rude but i'm sure you will get a direction of your own. all the best.

Henri

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 12:34:50 AM »
As a faculty in the US, with teaching experience abroad (Switzerland and India) I would invite you to consider how you approach the idea of success. Grades and complements of faculty are only one way of measuring success. Perhaps the most rewarding one would be to ask yourself if what you believe has meaning within the public realm of improving the built environment. Do you feel that you are an advocate for improving the life style of the citizens through either traditional or contemporary spatial inventions. Perhaps you are a great designer and have difficulties in the more technical courses; or you are poor in conveying your ideas in space but excell in all other fields of the discipline of architecture. What is wonderful is at the end is that you should be reminded that architecture has a dual identity: one which is scientific and belongs to the order of the demonstrable; the other, an artistic and intuitive component which belongs to the order of sensitivity. Figure out where you belong, which are your strenghts and weaknesses and I bet you will be more forceful in finding answers to these seminal questions we have all asked ourselves as we developed our own autobiography.

sabufrancis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 04:51:47 PM »
Success in architectural practice is not to do with marks or money. When you finish your architectural studies and go out there either to practice or to work under someone, you would be rated as per the work you produce. And the quality of work would depend on the processes you undertake to produce the work. My advice to you is to forget about marks (I know its easier said than done when you are under the pressure of being a student) and concentrate on getting the processes (the "verbs" ) right so that the product; i.e. the design (the "noun") turns out right. I've seen much too often students erroneously aping the final product of some other architect instead of learning and using the processes.

As far as attaining success... "success" is a very difficult word to define.  I agree with Henri there. Unlike mathematicians and scientists who can produce quite path-breaking work when they are quite young (many of them even in their teens and twenties) Architects are known to produce poor quality work when they are young and they start maturing only when they reach their middle age. Their productivity (the number of works done) may drop after that, but the quality of works generally improves. That is why, we see a lot of important and quality works done by old architects.

Architectural practice requires weaving together knowledge from different domains. You need to braid together multiple strands of knowledge. A good quality work would have a larger set of issues (braids) that were handled together than a poorer one. For an architect to comprehend each of those strands and the process of braiding them together; it would take time. It is simply a complex process. In the meantime, he gets old  :D

In short, production of good architecture usually means a long wait  :blink:  It is good that you developed a passion for it since you were ten years old. I am sure you would go further ahead

Best wishes

-Sabu Francis
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 05:44:28 PM by sabufrancis »

The Indian Architecture & Construction Network Blog is an unmoderated blog for the Indian architects, indian Architecture and indian construction industry. The issues discussed here / news relate to professional practice, construction, design, environment, urban design, interiors, green buildings, sustainability, Energy Efficient Architecture, architectural competitions, academic standards, projects, professional institutions, architecture students, CAD, vaastu, Job postings etc. etc. The comments posted on this blog are the views of the poster. The Blog owners may or may not subscribe to the same and cannot be held responsible for the same. The blog owners take no responsibilty for any loss incured by anyone whatsoever it maybe, by clicking on the links on this website.

Indian Architecture & Construction Blog

The blog is hosted by Manchanda Associates . www.manchanda.co.in

ENVARCH - an Environmental design initiative by Manchanda Associates
Industrial Design : Retractable Vehicle shade for tropical & Cold climates