Author Topic: What should I b doing?  (Read 2986 times)

Architect partly

What should I b doing?
« on: September 23, 2005, 09:49:50 PM »
I graduated in architecture from India and is currently employed as an architectural assistant in the United Kingdom. The term 'Architect' cannot be used for my designation even though I have completed the course since I did not graduate frm the UK and have not been registered here yet.
I have been working for the past 4 yrs in different countries out of which the past one year i spent working in UK & Ire.
One thing I was really fascinated by after I started working in the UK is the passion architects here have when designing a project.  Their approach to a design.. no matter wht project size is worth a praise.  Ever since I graduated I have been searching really hard to find wht my style is and what sort of an approach I must take towards design. Clearly my course did not help me one bit and did NOT give me an understanding of architecture or the profession! There has not been a single day tht has gone past without regretting wht am I still doin in architecture.
Mind you I am really good at the job for some reason and didnt have to try hard to get employed and am also currently employed at the 4th largest firm in UK.
Has anyone gone thru a stage where they felt that whtever they are doing is just not good enough and theres not a single design that one can be really proud about?
OR is it just me...I have thought abt quitting many times...but I knw this is wht I want to do and someday want to be proud of my work.

What should I b doing?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 08:36:55 AM »
two things:

first- your architectural education is not competitive
second- because of the first , you are not confident.

add on - go back to india im sure youll be happy to practice your own.

meta

What should I b doing?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 02:53:10 PM »
our profession is not a easy go lucky type. have`nt you heard architects rambling that our professional life starts only after mid-age? everybody faces that at a certain point in their career when their desire to accomplish design credibilities do not match with kind of work done in office. more so, for an indian working in european countries.

worked in different countries in a few years? how old are you and how did you start off? with very less job satisfaction life good be very difficult.
i suggest you clearly define your goals in life and work accordingly. you know what we learn in india is minimal if ya want to compete with the globaly recognised firms. atleast you must be happy that you have got experience from working in different firms across the globe.

if you can`t take the shit anymore, think of other oppurtunities or get your creative ass back to the country you did your undergrad. the pay could be less but life is fast and very much satisfying. lots to do in our ever burgeoning indian architecture.

cheers and good luck!

sabufrancis

• View Profile
What should I b doing?
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 10:06:09 PM »
Take a look at http://www.anyarchitect.org

I found the approach interesting, if not important to clarify such thoughts. I believe this site is relevant not just in this post but several others in this section. For e.g. How does one establish values in Architectural practice? Where does one get information about Architecture in India, etc.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 10:12:32 PM by sabufrancis »

pramila

• View Profile
What should I b doing?
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 05:22:04 PM »
R u kidding?!!! 4 years and so much international exposure- pick up all you can dude!! You could easily come back to India and start your own practice.  I dream of the day I can afford to go outside India and work on an international level- you're right about the whole crossroads thing though. Face it myself very frequently. Sometimes (especially when I read Fountainhead!!), I really wish the earth would swallow me up. Archi education here is not geared up for the kind of questions a young professional comes up with in the course of working. At some  level, I expect a lot of us have doubts on why we took up the thing in the first place. Helps if you really know what you want to achieve in the time that you've got. But dont ask me, am still searching. Cheers man!

The Indian Architecture & Construction Network Blog is an unmoderated blog for the Indian architects, indian Architecture and indian construction industry. The issues discussed here / news relate to professional practice, construction, design, environment, urban design, interiors, green buildings, sustainability, Energy Efficient Architecture, architectural competitions, academic standards, projects, professional institutions, architecture students, CAD, vaastu, Job postings etc. etc. The comments posted on this blog are the views of the poster. The Blog owners may or may not subscribe to the same and cannot be held responsible for the same. The blog owners take no responsibilty for any loss incured by anyone whatsoever it maybe, by clicking on the links on this website.

Indian Architecture & Construction Blog

The blog is hosted by Manchanda Associates . www.manchanda.co.in

ENVARCH - an Environmental design initiative by Manchanda Associates
Industrial Design : Retractable Vehicle shade for tropical & Cold climates